There are plenty of mistakes that businesses make when engaging in social media optimization. The focus for this article will be one huge, though understandable, error: The posts are too darn complicated or confusing.
One of the reasons that social media has taken the world by storm is that it’s simple. It’s fast, it’s fun, it’s enlightening, it’s engaging and it’s even entertaining. But it needn’t be plodding and dull as a doorknob.
The next time you are optimizing a social media post, make sure you answer these questions:
- Do all the words really need to be in the post? Could you take a few out and make it even easier to read?
- Did you include an image to add an emotional pull? Is the image actually engaging or interesting? Would you want to read it?
- Is this something that your audience will be interested in? Or will they pass it by in favor of a tweet about dancing cats?
- Does the post sound like something a robot wrote? Or does it sound like it has a human behind it?
- Did you ask a question or write something that would encourage responses, such as likes, tweets, re-tweets, etc.?
Ironically, this focus on the construction of the social media post is going to take MUCH more time than it will for your readers to skim it! That’s okay! In the end, the key is to get them to love it – and, by proxy, your company. So keep it simple, and shield them from having to dig too deeply for answers.
Want to know more about social media optimization and how it can work for your business? Call me today and we’ll schedule a consultation asap!